online records

Dear Bob,

It sounds to me like you aren't familiar with all the resources that we
have available on line for Cumberland County. For all new members on this
list let me suggest that you have a good browse at the CC Genweb site at
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nscumber/
Click on Primary Sources in the left side menu and you come to a long list
of available files that you can download and save for further use. All the
censuses are there plus the birth, death and marriage records (marriages
available for the years you are looking for 1864 to 1913). There are also
some other marriage records 1822 to 1894 for Methodist marriages.

If you can't access these files either because you don't have the right
software or for some other reason, I've found that you can usually find a
friend or a younger relative who is willing to help you get them into a
form that you will be able to use. Many of us don't have the computer
skills but can find a helping hand.

Another thing you should become familiar with is the Resources Chart. On
the Genweb Site click on Finding Aids and then Resources Chart or go
directly to http://www.rootsweb.com/~nscumber/resources_chart.html
This will tell you what records (and for what years) are available for
Cumberland Co. and where you can find them. Many of them are also
available on line at a different address than the Genweb Site.

There is a tremendous amount of research that you can do yourself from your
down desk.

Sandra Naehrig