Re: Township Books

In a message dated 12/07/2000 10:08:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gmattins@... writes:

<< This
suggests that the Township Book was more a "registration of inhabitants"
than a "registration of events". >>

Township books can be tricky to interpret unless you have land records or
vital records to back them up.

On some of my research in the States, I found a family of eight children
listed in Bristol, RI. Later, I found that the first five of the eight had
been registered earlier in Little Compton, RI --- and still later, that the
first two were recorded in Plymouth, Mass.! If I had gone with what I found
first, I'd have listed place of birth as Bristol for all eight. Who knows?
Maybe I'll find further records to change the picture again!

Barbara