Charles S. Brown

Eric,
Greetings from warm, sunny southern Alberta. Do you have any other clues for
the parents or siblings of Charles S. Brown? I'm looking for relatives of
John Hall Brown born about 1819 after his father Captain Brown died at sea
(Passamaquoddy Bay on the south coast of NB according to one cousin's story
handed down). Widow Brown married a Captain Cook/Cooke. Anna Brown Fife's
family had a similar story. John Hall Brown raised his family in Shinimicas
and died 1883 in Springhill. His wife Elizabeth Phelan was from Amherst.
There are pictures of both her parents plus a letter written after John
died.

My guess is that John Hall Brown might have been raised by relatives and
didn't talk much about his early life to his children. The following list is
SPECULATION based on guesses shared by Sandra & other researchers. There
could be half a dozen unrelated Brown family groups with descendants in
Cumberland. Hall Brown of Springhill didn't know the origin of the Hall name
when I asked him in 1970. Some of the children had middle names (Townsend,
Tweedy) that appeared to be ministers or neighbors. - Elizabeth

Possible descendants of Captain Brown

1 Brown, Captain? Born: About 1780 Occupation: sea captain according to
family story
. +Unknown Hall?, Guess Only Born: About 1785
2 Luke Brown, Possible Son? Born: Of Maccan, Nova Scotia
.... +Charlotte McNutt
2 Anna Brown Born: Bet. 1809 - 1812 NB? res. Macaan Junction, Nova Scotia
.... +Samuel Fife, Age 11 From Ireland Born: About 1810 Father: John Fife
2 Hiram Brown Born: About 1812 (perhaps confused with son of Charles S.)
2 Jane Brown Born: About 1813 from Maccan Mtn, Nova Scotia
.... +Thomas Ibbitson Born: 1807 Nunnington, Yorkshire
2 Margaret Brown Born: 1815
.... +Henry Furlong Born: About 1797
2 John Hall Brown Born: Bet. 1818 - 1819 Nova Scotia Occupation:
carriage maker Shinimicas 1860s
.... +Elizabeth Jane Phelan Born: February 18, 1836 Nova Scotia Father:
John C. Phelan Mother: Priscilla Jane Goodwin

> How do you like the weather here in R'view? Here's what I have on Charles
S BROWN & Mary GILBERT. I am a little fishy on Harriet BROWN and Stephen
TABOR, but otherwise I think things seem to be alright. Not complete, but a
start!
> He had a brother, Hiram Skidmore BROWN, but I have yet to find a son named
Hiram...?
> Eric...
------
> Descendants of Charles S Brown
> 1 Charles S Brown b: 04 July 1810 d: 18 June 1873 in Joggins Mines,
Cumberland, NS