~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From:Murray Barkhouse's FAMOUS NOVA SCOTIANS, p. 83
Born: Wallace Bridge, Cumberland County 1835
Simon Newcomb received 17 Honourary Degrees, gold medals and academic
Awards
from all over Europe and United States.
His father was an itinerant school teacher and dirt poor. About 1853,
Simon was starving and desperate when he met the skipper of a small boat
who was leaving for the United States. He decided to go with him,
landing at Salem, Massachusetts. In 1858 at the age of 23 years he
received his B.Sc. from Harvard University.... much more info in this
article.

Source:Barkhouse, Murray: FAMOUS NOVA SCOTIANS, Published: Hantsport,
N.S. : Lancelot Press, 1994, 161 p., ISBN: 0-88999545-1
Wallace Museum Home Page: http://www.createyourweb.com/wam/