list of sources

Hi Diane and List,

I was just going to get around to answering your mail, Diane, when your second one came in. I'm 5 or 6 hours "ahead" of you in time zones so I only got it this morning, had to go to work, have a very bad migraine and then got distracted by Greg's emails :) In the meantime you noticed that your attachment didn't go through. I can't imagine that most people on the list wouldn't be interested in your great information and I don't think any of this is off topic since we are supposedly interested in research in Cumberland Co. If I'm wrong, someone should please tell me.

As for procedure on this list, there isn't any but common sense I guess. Since Judy brought it up, I just was worried that 50 messages a day with maybe 70% of them referring to Taylor/Tait might scare some people off the list. One of the ideas of starting this list was because several people were unhappy with the high volume of the NS list, most of it admittedly not relevant to our research and there have been a few unsubsriptions recently. But hey, this isn't my list--it's Brian's and I'm just here in case he gets by a bus (his words not mine :)). And for those of you who think that I talk too much, I promise to shut up next week when I have visitors arriving AND I have almost caught up on sending the "lost" mail from Sept.

In case I haven't been clear, my original idea was to prepare a list which could go on the Cumberland Co. web site (like the list of churches or list of books) which would name the record, tell where the original document(s) is held, tell if there is a microfilm of it and give the numbers PANS; LDS; NAC use, tell if you can obtain a paper copy of the original and where, tell if there is a transcript and/or an index and where it is held, if there is a microfilm of it and the numbers and lastly if there is a paper copy available and where it can be obtained. Example (hope it shows up as a table):

Name of Record Original held at Microfilm location and number Photocopy of original Transcript or[PARA]Index Microfilm loccation and number Photocopy of Transcript
Township Books b/m/d
Ft. Lawrence aka Cumberland Township Book, b/m/d 1783-1813 NAC LDS 477526[PARA]PANS ?
Parrsboro Township Book Vaughn Library, Acadia University PANS 15054 in the Milner Papers held at NB Museum LDS 859575

Some of this information can no doubt be found on other web sites but I thought that having everything gathered together on one site would be a help especially to the new Cumberland Co. researcher and to all of us who live far from the sources and must depend on the LDS films, or ordering paper copies or hiring a researcher or bothering friends in Cumberland Co.

Thank you very much for taking all that time to compile so much useful information. If you are willing, just send me the sources you have and I'll try to find an easy to understand form to present it all in. I'll then put it in the shared files and everyone can correct and make additions (fill in missing film numbers for example) and when everyone is satisfied with it, Brian can put it on the Genweb site. Or send it to the list if you like and people can start commenting already. I've already started with the sources I know but I'm missing almost all PANS microfilm numbers (except for the censuses which I have from the site Brian mentioned, which used to also include the NAC numbers, so I have those). I've spent a lot of time going through my file of sources in Family Tree Maker and looking for old emails where I knew I had an email address etc. I'd ask others to spend a little time looking through their notes etc. for sources they've consulted and give them to me too. Brian even offered to go to PANS and look up the numbers but he does so much already, I'd like to save him the time if possible. I thought to include a list with addresses, at least email addresses and websites with hyperlinks for all the repositories (those you've mentioned) and others that turn up, at the end of the list.

In case it hasn't come across, I couldn't agree more with you about the IGI and Ancestral File and that's why I've got this "thing" about seeing the original if at all possible. I'm not alone in admiring the way you have documented all that you have posted.

Goodnight
Sandra