PURDY BOOKS

Dear James Little & Listers:

I contacted Gerry Mattinson who was the person looking for the PURDY books
and gave him the Saint John Address. He was sucessfull in making contact
with Robert PURDY at the listed Saint John Address. Robert told Gerry there
are twelve PURDY books written to date! The following information may
helpful to decide the best book(s) to choose:

How the PURDY Family Name Got To Nova Scotia In Summary:

To Cumberland County Nova Scotia -
Henry (5) Purdy b. Jun 27,1745 d. Jul 20, 1826
Gilbert (5) Purdy b. ca 1750 d. Jun 5,1838.
Gabriel (5) Purdy b.May 18,1753 or 55 d. May 8, 1841
Above are all sons of Samuel(4) Purdy

To Annapolis County Nova Scotia -
Gabriel(4) PURDY
b.1721 d.1803 Digby, Nova Scotia
(Gabriel(4) PURDY was brother to Samuel(4) Purdy and therefore uncle to
Gabriel(5),Gilbert(5),& Henry(5) Purdy)

To Cumberland County Nova Scotia -
Henry (5) Purdy b. Jun 27,1745 d. Jul 20, 1826
Gilbert (5) Purdy b. ca 1750 d. Jun 5,1838.
Gabriel (5) Purdy b.May 18,1753 or 55 d. May 8, 1841
Above are all sons of Samuel(4) Purdy

These Nova Scotia Purdy's ( Gabriel(4), Gabriel(5), Gilbert(5), Henry(5)
all came from New England. The linages of Purdy begin with connections
to Francis(1) PURDY:

Francis(1) Fairfield, Connecticut around1635 d. 1628 m. Mary Brundish
(Brundage) in 1628.
Children (2nd generation):
John
Francis
Joseph *****
Mary
Daniel.

Joseph(2) PURDY: b. ca 1652 d.1709 m. Elizabeth in 1680, prob. Elizabeth
H. Ogden dau. of John Ogden who was Assistant Governor of Conn at the
time of John Winthrop as Governor.
Children (3rd generation):
Joseph b. ca 1680
Daniel b. ca 1682
Samuel b.ca 1685 *****
David b.ca
Jonathan b. ca 1693
John b. ca 1695
Francis b. ca 1697
Elizabeth
Judee
Mary
Phebe

Samuel(3) PURDY: b.ca 1685 at Rye d. Mar 4, 1753, White Plains N.Y.
m.1) Clorinda Penelope Strang m.2) Sarah (widow of Jacob Budd) on Oct
10, 1728.
Children of Samuel and Clorinda [Strang] Purdy (4th generation):
Samuel b. 1710 **** Children to NS
Caleb b. 1711
Gloriana b. 1714
Charlotte b. 1716
Josiah b. 1718 ***
Gabriel b. 1721**** He & Family to NS
Elizabeth b. 1723
Henry b. 1725
Clara. b. ?

Children of Samuel(3) PURDY:

Josiah(4) PURDY: b.1718 d.1760 Rye, N.Y., will proved Jul 10, 1760 m.
Charity Wetmore, dau of Rev. James and Anna [Dwight] Wetmore. (No
further info)

Gabriel(4) PURDY: b.1721 d.1803 Digby, Nova Scotia. He m. Bethia
Miller. He was Captain of a Loyalist Company: removed at age 61 to
Annapolis, Nova Scotia, with all his sons, dau and their families. He is

the uncle of Henry, Gilbert and Gabriel Purdy who went to Cumberland
County, Nova Scotia. ( No further info)

Samuel(4) PURDY: b. Mar 23, 1710 d. Sept 5,1796
Note on Will of Samuel(4) PURDY: unrecorded will (NY G&B. Record 1936 p.
76) Will signed Apr 3, 1793 proved Sept 7 1796, mentions sons Jacob,
Henry, Gilbert and Gabriel, Executors, son Jacob and William Purdy and
the latter's wife Alathier Purdy, dau of
Josiah Purdy and Charity Wetmore who....Alathier m. 1) Joseph(5) Purdy,
son of Joseph(4) and Charity [Eisenhart] Purdy whose dau Charity(5)
Purdy was 1st wife of above Gabriel (5) Purdy Alathier m. 2) William
Purdy, son of Henry(4) Purdy and Mary Foster.
Witness of will Abigal Purdy, probably Jacob (5) Purdy's wife. Samuel
(4) is buried in Presbyterian Churchyard, White Plians, N.Y.
Samuel(4) PURDY: (same as above) m. Winifred Griffin on Dec 17, 1735.
Winnifred is daughter of Jacob Griffin (b. ca 1698) of White Plains.
Jacob Griffin married 1st) Sarah Wright and
2nd) Sarah Smith, sister of Ann Smith who m. Ezekiel Griffin.
Children of Samuel(4) and Winifred [GRIFFIN] PURDY:
Lavinia (5) b.1737 d.1761
Jacob(5) b.1739 d.1822
Samuel(5) b.ca 1745 d. 1784
Henry(5) PURDY b. Jun 27,1745 d. Jul 20, 1826 Commission Feb 4, 1780
Capt. of Light Infantry under Col James Delancy, later Col of Militia in
Nova Scotia where he was also a magistrate. He was a Loyalist. He
received 150 acres at Fort Lawrence (Nova Scotia) in 1785 and in 1788 he
received 400 acres as did William Allan and Edward Parker. Henry married
Tamer Kniffen (or Sniffen) Feb 16, 1773 in N.Y.

Gilbert (5) PURDY b. ca 1750 d. Jun 5,1838. Captain in Guides and
Pioneers under Major Samuel Holland, later a Col in the Nova Scotia Militia.
His
diary of 1777 is in the Canadian Archives, Otawa. He lived on lot 30 on
the tip of the point at Malagash, Nova Scotia. Gilbert married; Bethia
Fisher on Mar 26,1781. Bethia dau of Jeremiah Fisher.

Gabriel (5) PURDY b.May 18,1753 or 55 d. May 8, 1841 He served with
Col------- then Major Holland in the guides and Pioneers and afterwards
with Col Delancy's Regiment as Sargent. He lived at Westchester Nova
Scotia. He is mentioned in his brother Gilbert's Diary in 1777. Gabriel
married:
m.1st) Charity Purdy on mar 28, 1775. Charity (b. Dec 12,1758) was his
second cousin, dau of Joseph(4) and Charity [Eisenhart] Purdy m. 2nd) Esther
Angevine (b.1768 d.1803) dau of Louis and Phobe Angevine of North Castle
N.Y.
m.3) Elizabeth Richardson (b........ d. ca 1812)
m.4) Ester Knight ( b. 1766 d.1828)
m.5)Ann Aitkins, widow of John Aitkins

Notes on Rye ( NY - United States):
The first settlement in the town of Rye was made in 1660. Originally
Rye was land between the Byram and Blind Brook rivers. Lands west of
Blind Brook and east by Stonybrook called Budd's Neck. Rye was included
in the limits of the colony of Connecticut on May 30, 1663. On Sept.
5, 1664 New Netherlands surrendered and became the Province of New York.
Rye was part of the province of New York from 1702. Brother John(2)
Purdy came to Rye from Eastchester in 1670. Joseph Purdy came to Rye ca
1677 and Francis Purdy came ca 1679.

The above information based on:
Books published about the decendents of Francis 1
Purdy who was in Farifield, Connecticut in 1635 . The 6th book
(Published 1990) is on Gilbert 5 Purdy -His Ancestors and Decendents.
Gilbert 5 Purdy was born in White Plains, New York and settled in
Malagash Point, Cumberland County Nova Scotia about 1783.
This 6th book also contains 37 schematic pages which outline the first 6
generations decended from Francis 1 Purdy from 1587 to 1790.

The authors of these books are:

Clayton C. Purdy
30 Meadowbrook Road
Syosset, NY 11791

Robert J. Purdy
250 Renshaw Road
East Riverside
Saint John, N.B.
E2H 2S3

Hope this at least can help you decide what book you need.

Regards,
Diane Shaw
Riverview, NB