From: Ken McNeill <k_mcneill@...>
To: <nscumber@onelist.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 12:16 AM
Subject: [nscumber] Teed

cdemings@...

> Best Regards,
>
> Ken McNeill
> Washington, NH
>
> DANIEL TEED U.E.L
> and his
> DESCENDENTS
> The North Cumberland Historical Society
> Publication # 15
> I.S.B.N. # 0-920784-01-1
> July 1994
> by
> Harvey Gullon
>

> DANIEL TEED - THE LOYALIST BOY
>
> The Teeds were the first settlers of British origin to come to Malagash
and area. They were from the north of Ireland, emigrating to America
early in the eighteenth century. They settled at
> Delaware, New York and later moved to Rhode Island.
> The brothers were David; Isaac; Daniel; John; James; and Charles. Charles
was taken prisoner by the Rebels. His brothers settled in Wentworth and
Malagash, Nova Scotia, and several years later they
> located him and brought him to Nova Scotia.
>
> The brothers who in the beginning settled at Malagash were David, Isaac,
John and James. David and Isaac were both at the taking of Louisburg,
where Isaac lost a leg. We find their names on
> different land deeds, that of David on Lot #9, Isaac on lot # 19, John on
lot # 55 and James on lot # 73. it is said they spent some time in Pugwash
before final settlement in Malagash.

> Daniel Teed lived at Cortlaiids Manor, New York Province, on land given to
him by his father. Daniel was a blacksmith. Daniel's children were born
at Cortlands Manor, New York. Daniel's brothers
> Isaac and John also had homes on their father's land. The Teeds were
persecuted for their loyalty to the British monarchy, and in March 1777 they
went to Westchester County, New York, which was
> behind the British lines, for protection. Daniel Teed never got to see
Nova Scotia and the new lands of his brothers, he died in 1780 behind those
British lines. Daniel Teed the son, was very
> young at the time, between seven and ten years old, Because of his youth
and being taken away from home, he never learned to read or write.
Documents later seen in his name to the Loyalist Claim
> Commission, are written by a notary with Daniel putting his mark to sign.
It has been stated that Daniel, the son, acted as a drummer boy for the
British. There is no real evidence of this,
> although it seems likely, due to his youth. Daniel, in his letter to
the Claims Commission, states he joined the British forces in August 1781,
and acted as a private in the infantry under the
> command of Col. James Delancey, until evacuation of New York in June of
1783.
> Daniel Teed, who came to Malagash, Nova Scotia, was not a brother to
David, Isaac, John, James, and Charles, as stated by early writers, but
their nephew. Daniel arrived in Nova Scotia with his
> three brothers and two sisters: David, Moses, Charles, Mary and Elizabeth.
Coming to Nova Scotia was one family of Teeds, with three generations, and
possibly four.
> 1
>

> David, son of Daniel, in his claim for property, property was his
father's, who died in 1780 British lines, leaving a wife, now of Cumberland,
and two daughters.

> Daniel Teed, Sr. died in New York in 1780 leaving six children. They were
as follows: David, Moses, Mary, Daniel, Elizabeth and Charles.

> Daniel Teed and the Teed family left New York for Nova Scotia in June
1783, landing at Fort Cumberland and eventually reached Remsheg on about 10
July 1783. Daniel took up his land grant at
> Malagash at the age of 16. He was officially given his land at
Malagash on 20 March 1786 at age 19. In 1790 Daniel sold 50 acres of
his 100 acre grant to David Teed, (it is not sure if
> this was David the brother or David the uncle). Daniel likely remained
at Malagash until 1809, when he repetitioned the government for new
land. He stated that his land was too poor to farm,
> and requested new land to provide for his large family of nine children.
This was probably when he moved to Wentworth. Daniel made no further land
petitions, but he is recorded as having made
> land transactions, mostly to provide for his sons.
>
> David Teed born 1760 married Eleanor Wynn. They had four sons: Isaac;
John; Donald; and Daniel (David)?. In the 1827 census for Wallace:
David Teed, Sr., Methodist, farmer, 4 male, five
> female. 1 birth in family in year preceding October 1 1827.
>
> Moses Teed born 1762 married Ann??. He was a stone cutter. Moses was in
Boston, Mass. at the time of "The Boston Tea Party". When he objected to
the throwing of tea into Boston Harbour, he was
> thrown in along with the tea. In 1785 he was listed as a man above 21
years of age. In 1795 he paid poll tax in Remsheg, listed as having one cow
and one sheep. it is believed he lived in Lower
> Wentworth. He had at least two children: Jane and Jonathan.
>
> Mary Teed born 24 January 1764 married Ezekiel Peers, Jan. 1766 son of
Alexander and Mary (Bolding) Peers. They had nine children. See: Peers
Genealogy.

> Daniel Teed born 1767 - about whom this book is written
>
> Elizabeth Teed married Timothy Lockhart.
>
> Charles Teed - no information available.
>
> Daniel Teed was born 1767 in Cortlands Manor, New York. He married
Jerusha Peers, born 17 February 1772. She was the daughter of Alexander
and Mary (Bolding) Peers and sister to Ezekiel Peers,
> Daniel's sister Mary's husband. Jerusha would have been about twelve years
of age when the family came to

> 2
>

> Nova Scotia and eighteen when she married. In her father's will, she
was left "One bed and bedding". In 1791 Daniel paid 5 shillings in poll
tax in Remsheg. He paid poll tax in 1795. In the
> 1827 census, Daniel Teed is listed as: Methodist, farmer, 4 male, 4
female, 1 birth in family in year preceding 1 October 1827,

> They had eleven children:
> Mary (A); Henry (B); Hannah (C); Daniel (D); Elizabeth (E); Alexander
(F); Jerusha (G); Isaac (H); David (I); John (J); Sarah (K).

> Mary Teed (A) was born 6 June 1791. She married John Palmer. He was one of
three brothers. The other two settled in Kings County, Nova Scotia, and the
Palmer homestead passed to the Teed family. They
> had nine children: Jonathan (Al); Hannah (A2); Henry (A3); Daniel
(A4); Emily (A5); Thomas (A6); John (A7); Alex (A8); Nancy (A9).
These children are not listed in order of age.

> Jonathan Palmer (Al) born 1811, married Emily ??, born 1832. Children:
> George (All).
>
> George Edward Palmer (All) born 1854, married Catherine McLeod on 7
September 1876.

> Hannah Palmer (A2) 1813-1844, married 25 July 1833 by Rev. Thomas Davies
in Wallace, William Peers Brown, 1810-1871, son of Abraham and Elizabeth
(Peers) Brown. See: Brown genealogy.

> Henry Palmer (A3) born 1816, married Lucretia Stevens, born 1821.
Children: Angeline (A31); Esther (A32); Jane (A33); William
(A34); Francis (A35); Christina (A36); Augusta (A37);
> Susan (A38); Lemuel (A39).
>
> Angeline Natilla Palmer A31)born 2 August, 1842, married John Redmond.
>
> Esther Ann Palmer (A32) born 1846, married 23 October, 1863 by Rev. George
Johnson, William Scott of Westchester, NS. It's in the marriage records of
Cumberland County that her mother was listed as
> Ann Story. It's the only place where this name appears. Children: Fanny
(A321); Martha (A322).

> Fanny A. Scott (A321) born 1867.
>
> Martha Lucretia Scott (A322) born 1874.
>
> Jane Palmer (A33) born 1847, married in Londonderry, on 26 December, 1867
Mansfield Angevine of Six Mile Road N.S. Moved to the USA. See: Angevine
Genealogy.