Search in Cumberland Co

G'day list...
In 1980, a Mr. Ernest Coates did some research for my father regarding David Long b.1818 - d 1877 of Maccan NS. From what I can find, he was quite thorough. Through his research we found out a lot about the family from 1843 when David married Hannah Harrison, and have the family up to date since then. There does not seem to be any information about David before that time, other than a land grant he shared with an in law Harrison just prior to the marriage. Mr Coates was unable to find out any information as to where David came from other than "England". Would I be wasting my time to try and find what Mr Coates could not? The reason I ask, is, Mr Coates seemed to have touched all bases in his search.
Thank you for taking the time to read this,
Cheers,
Peter