Obit: McWHIRTER, Carmel Ann [née GRIFFIN]

I don't know if her husband is a Cumberlander but thought I'd send it along anyway!

Carmel Ann McWhirter
It is with great sadness, that we announce the passing of Carmel Ann McWhirter on Friday, Feb. 20, 2015 at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital, Sydney. Born in New Waterford, she was the daughter of the late Clarence 'Biffo' and Theresa (Byrne) Griffin. Carmel worked many years at different occupations; her last place of employment was McFadgen's Bakery, Glace Bay. She loved cooking, playing cards, doing crossword puzzles, going for drives with her husband and shopping at the Dollar Store. But mostly, Carmel will be remembered as a loving wife, mother and grandmother. Her family was her treasure. Carmel's compassionate and loving nature will never be forgotten. Carmel is survived by her loving husband and best friend, David McWhirter; her daughter, Melissa McWhirter (Jay Mann), Glace Bay; son, John at home; grandchildren, Dylan McWhirter, Matthew McWhirter Nearing, Carson McWhirter Nearing; brothers, Patty, Tony, Michael, Kenneth, Tommy, John, Buddy; cousins, nieces and nephews. Besides her parents, Carmel was predeceased by three sisters, Mary, Dolly and Helen. Cremation has taken place. The funeral service will be held at V.J. McGillivray Funeral Home Chapel, 16 Reserve St., Glace Bay on Wednesday at 10 a.m. with Fr. Norman MacPhee officiating. If so desired, memorial donations in Carmel's honour may be made to palliative care. Online condolences to the family can be expressed at: www.vjmcgillivray.ca.
A special thank you to all the staff at palliative care and Dr. Carol Boutilier for the compassion and dignity shown to our family.
[Monday, 23 February, 2015, The Cape Breton Post, Sydney NS; EMK]