Re: Bonnie Susan McAloney of Amherst

Title: Re: [nscumber] Re: Bonnie Susan McAloney of Amherst
Hi Stacey:

As one of the many subscribers on nscumber with an interest in genealogy, I take obits as they appear on this site and attempt to fit together the family. I’ve been at it for over 20 years now as a pre/post retirement hobby. There are numerous other genealogist out there who research all the McAloney/MacAloney’s with roots to Cumberland County; I only have some of them. We use birth announcements, marriage write-ups and obits published in newspapers which then makes them “public information”, not private information anymore. Ottawa House in Parrsboro sell a genealogy book “The McAloney Family of North America” by Margaret Tuttle for example. Many of your ancestors are listed in it.

Having been born in Cumberland County, my main interest are the Winter/Winters of Cumberland County which trace back to the early 1800’s between Parrsboro and Advocate. Over the years, through marriage, other Cumberland County surnames like Morris, Pettis, Hatfield, Cochrane, McAloney, MacAloney, Crossman, Brown just to name a few, mix into my lineage.

Sometimes one has to research outside the box to find out what’s inside the box; example, research another surname to find out something connected to your surname. That wasn’t the case here.

I have no direct connections to your family. It was just when your Mom’s obit was published listing a sister, Barbara and non of the other deceased family members referenced a Barbara, a “red light” came on from experience, so I asked the query awhile back. It was just how to fit Barbara correctly into the family. Why she was adopted wasn’t a concern.

In a few obits I have, names were purposely left out due to a “family quarrel” for example.

There are also more and more adopted children now searching for birth parents for medical reasons such as a history of a certain disease in the lineage.

Hope this helps.

Dave Winter