Re: Willena (Broderick) Neville of Springhill and Pictou

Title: Re: [nscumber] Re: Willena (Broderick) Neville of Springhill and Pictou
Deb:

Thanks.

Dave

On 13-10-01 11:35 AM, "everittdeb" <deb.everitt@...> wrote:

another daughter

OBIT # 4758 - HALIFAX HERALD - 17 MAY 2003
 BALFOUR (nee Neville), Pauline Francis - Born November 12, 1919, as fourth generation Nova Scotian in Pictou. Died peacefully May 10, 2003, in Vancouver, B.C. Graduate RN from the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal. Pauline was a caring homemaker for her married life. Survived by husband, David; daughters, Susan, Joan, and Alix; grandchildren, Rory, Bronwyn, Benjamin, and Meredith; nieces and nephews in Nova Scotia and Ontario. Cremation with a later service and burial in Denmark, N.S. Donations may be made in Pauline's memory to Nova Scotia Provincial Archives in Halifax.

her husband

BALFOUR, David Moir December 8, 1922 - November 17, 2009 Born in Trail, B.C., David lived 86 interesting and fulfilling years. He spent his youth as a scout leader, climbing and skiing neighbouring mountains, fishing, tree-planting and working on his sister's farm. The day after high school graduation, David enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force. He survived the war, but was scarred by the loss of his buddies who had also enlisted. Following the Second World War, David studied the chemistry of tanning in London, England, graduating as President of his class. He married Pauline Neville of Pictou, Nova Scotia in 1949. Upon returning to Canada, they settled in Quebec and started a family. David worked in a number of chemical-based industries: tanning, pulp and paper, recycling, dyes and dyestuffs, developing ideas still in use today. David's worldwide travels inspired him to become multilingual, a consequence of wanting to get to know his customers better, some of whom became lifelong friends. His work led the family to reside for a number of years in New England, eventually returning to Quebec, where he completed his career and retired. In 1992, David and Pauline moved to Vancouver where they spent their final years. David had compassion and intrigue for all people he met throughout his life. What were their stories? David often volunteered, from teaching teens to read, to befriending immigrants who came to Canada, teaching them English and helping them settle into their new lives. He served for over 15 years with the Canadian Air Force Association, attending memorials, visiting veterans in care homes, and volunteering with Air Cadets' squadrons. David knew the barber, the shopkeeper, the bank teller; he shared with anyone who returned a smile. David was friends with the known and unknown and valued them for principles that had nothing to do with their station in life. David's extended family was a great source of pride and joy. He had one simple, yet challenging goal - practise kindness. It was what he held in highest regard and tried to live up to. David was a decent man and excellent storyteller, regaling family and friends with his knowledge, humour and fascinating adventures. David was predeceased by his wife and is survived by his three daughters, their husbands and four grandchildren. David wished his family to spread his ashes on Mt. Lepsoe, a mountain he officially had named for his childhood friend Robert Lepsoe, shot down during the Second World War. Mt. Lepsoe is located along the Seven Summits trail in the Kootenays, near David's birthplace. The Lepsoe family, having hiked this trail many times since the mountain was named, will lead the way. A dinner gathering will be held on Friday evening, July 30th, at the Trail Colander Restaurant and the hike will take place Saturday morning, July 31st. The family extends an invitation to anyone who wishes to participate, to contact them for further details.
Published in Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on April 3, 2010