Re: Item of interest

============================
Citation
For most conspicuous bravery. During a bombing attack he was acting as a
bayonet man, and, knowing that bombs were running short, he ran along
the parados under heavy fire until he was in close contact with the
enemy, when he opened fire on them at point blank range, and inflicted
heavy loss. The enemy, thinking they were surrounded, surrendered. Sixty
two prisoners were taken and 250 yards of trench captured. Before
carrying out this very plucky act one of Private Kerr's fingers had been
blown off by a bomb. Later, with two other men, he escorted back the
prisoners under fire, and then returned to report himself for duty
before having his wound dressed.
[The London Gazette Oct 26th 1916].
============================
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
John Chipman Kerr VC (January 11, 1887, Fox River, Nova Scotia -
February 19, 1963), was a Canadian recipient of the Victoria Cross, the
highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the
enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. In 1912,
after working as a lumberjack near Kootenay, B.C. he bought a homestead
in Spirit River, Alberta, where he and his brother farmed until war
broke out. Immediately they set out for Edmonton, leaving only a single
note tacked to the door of their humble shed. It read: "War is Hell, but
what is homesteading?"

He was 29 years old, and a private in the 49th (Edmonton) Battalion,
Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War when the
following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 16 September 1916 at Courcelette, France, during a bombing attack,
Private Kerr was acting as bayonet man and noting that bombs were
running short, he ran along the parados under heavy fire until he was in
close contact with the enemy when he opened fire at point-blank range,
inflicting heavy losses. The enemy, thinking that they were surrounded,
surrendered - 62 prisoners were taken and 250 yards of enemy trench
captured. Earlier, Private Kerr's fingers had been blown off, but he did
not have his wound dressed until he and two other men had escorted the
prisoners back under fire and reported for duty.

His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Canadian War Museum (Ottawa, Canada).