Re: Eliza Mary (Smith) Smythe of Kirk's Hill

Margie:

Thank You again. With your help, I was able to do another match & merge.

That would make Clara Johnston and Wiletta Augusta (Johnston) Delaney
HATFIELD descendants who are not listed in the New Hatfield Book by George
Hayward.

At this time, I don¹t know if Charles A. Smith has Cumberland County roots.

>From data within Sophia Augusta (Hatfield) Johnston-Smith¹s obit, she is d/o
Charles Edward Hatfield and Rebecca Elizabeth Merriam.

Message cc¹d to George Hayward.

Dave
========
Wiletta Augusta Johnston¹s mother who m/2 Charles A. Smith after Olaf
William Johnston died/disappeared:

Parrsboro Record, Tuesday, July 5, 1938, pg. #1; Reel #2862, NSARM, Halifax,
N.S.
OBITUARY: Mrs. Charles A. Smith
The death occurred at Winthrop Centre, Mass., June 7th, of Sophia Augusta
(Hatfield) Smith, widow of Charles A. Smith, in her 85th year. Mrs. Smith
was a native of Parrsboro, the oldest sister of the late Capt. Harvey M.
Hatfield and of Stewart N. Hatfield, of Dorchester, Mass. She had lived in
Massachusetts for many years. The funeral was held in Winthrop Centre, July
9th.

Source: Dave Winter, 17 Jan 2010
================
1881 Census;
7042 MILL VILLAGE B 42 JOHNSTON OLIVER 29 M (Olaf William?)
7042 MILL VILLAGE B 42 JOHNSTON SOPHIA 27 M(Sophia Augusta?)
7042 MILL VILLAGE B 42 JOHNSTON CLARA 5
7042 MILL VILLAGE B 42 JOHNSTON WILETTA 3 (Wiletta Augusta?)

On 1/17/11 10:30 AM, "mad2250" <mad2250@...> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> John and Willetta were my husband's grandparents. In the 1891 Census, John and
> Clarah were brother and sister and were Delaneys. Perhaps the Census taker
> assumed they were all Smyths/Smiths. Wiletta was the daughter of Olav &
> Sophia(Hatfield) Johnston. She had an older sister, Clara(Johnston). When Olav
> died- was lost at sea(?) or disappeared(?). Sophia, his wife, left the 2 girls
> in foster care and went to the US to find a job, which is how Willetta came to
> stay w/Robert & Mary Ann.
>
> Mary Ann and Alfred Delaney did have 3 children. The oldest, Sarah Jane had
> already left by 1891. I have actual dates, sources, pics etc. and would be
> happy to share them if anyone needs more information on the Delaneys.
> Margie
> In nscumber@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nscumber%40yahoogroups.com> , Gerry
> Mattinson <gmattins@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > Dave,
>> >
>> > Like you, I also think the three children were born Delaney.  It looks
>> like the census taker merely assumed they were Smyth/Smiths (or, perhaps,
>> the children used the Smyth/Smith name for a while after their mother's
>> marriage to Robert Smith).
>> >
>> > Gerry

The
Eliza