From: nscumber@yahoogroups.com [mailto:nscumber@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of David Winter
Sent: January-06-10 6:16 PM
To: nscumber
Subject: Re: [nscumber] Seymour McCulley of Port Greville

Hi Lawrence:

Re; ***" Wilfred m son Mar 1903 8 NS
feel this is Wilfred, not William***

Harold William McCulley’s obit; 11 Mar 1970 – 17 Mar 1903 = 66 years :

Chronicle Herald, Thursday, March 12, 1970, pg. #24; Reel #5985, NSARM,
Halifax, N.S.
OBITUARY:
Harold William McCulley, 66, of Parrsboro, died in the Parrsboro Hospital
yesterday. Born in Port Greville, he was the son of the late Seamore and
Maude (Ellis) McCulley. He is survived by his wife, Hilda (Harvey); two
sons, Murray, Halifax; Floyd, Yarmouth; six brothers, Emerson and Trueman,
both of Port Greville; Brenton, Fox River; Murray, Halifax; Wilfred, Saint
John; and Lorne, Grand Manan Island, N.B.; six sisters, Gertrude (Mrs. Alvin
Newcombe) and Carrie (Mrs. Onslow Legere), both of Parrsboro; Ruby (Mrs.
Roland Allen, Pictou; Maureta (Mrs. George Hahh), Springhill; Mrs. Winnie
MacKay, Amherst; and Gleta (Mrs. Bruno Loh), Dartmouth. The body is at
Smith's Funeral Home, Parrsboro, where funeral service will be held Saturday
at 2 p.m. with Rev. Parker Matheson officiating. Burial will be in the
United Cemetery, Parrsboro.

Source: Dave Winter, 6 Jan 2010

Note: Transcribed as printed; Seamore should be Seymour; Ellis should be
Ells; Harvey should be Harvie; George Hahh should be Fred Hahnan; Gleta
should be Gletta.
=============
NSARM Cumberland Marriages, 1925; Book #40; Page #649 Harold McCully,
Sailor, b, 22, Methodist Living Port Greville; Born Port Greville S/o
Seymour McCulley, Ward’s Brook, and Maud Ells And Hilda Harvey, Housewife,
s, 19, Methodist Living Parrsboro; Born Parrsboro D/o Embert Harvey,
Burlington, Hants Co., and Mary MacKay Married 29 Aug 1925, Parrsboro By
Rev. Z.D. Little, Baptist Before Mr. and Mrs. Embert Harvie, Parrsboro
(Signed as McCulley and Harvie)

Source: Dave Winter, 6 Jan 2010
============

As for “absolutely Frederick, not Emerson”, I agree with your findings.

If Mickey Mouse (Mary Brown) is monitoring this posting, as the transcriber
of the 1911 Port Greville Census, she may be able to access the line and
change it. I was also a transcriber of some of the 1911 Census and can log
on but not actually change another transcriber’s work.

Dave

On 1/6/10 4:17 PM, "Lawrence Nicoll" <lrn@...> wrote:

> Folks
>
> Transfering the image to Photoshop and manipulating (especially
> darkening the image) I come up with a reading for the 1911 as below
>
> 1911 Census: Dist 42 Cumberland, S-Dist 21, Port Greville Poll Dist 34
>
> Page 17, line 30
>
> McCulley, Seamore m head m= Sep 1877 33 NS -- Cdn Baptist
> Ship Carpenter believe this is spelled Semor[e] on the census
>
> " Maude f wife m= May 1879 31 NS " Cdn
> Methodist
>
> " Winnie f dau Sept 1898 12 NS " "
> "
>
> " Frederick m son Feb 1899 11 NS " "
> " absolutely Frederick, not Emmerson
>
> " Gertrude F dau Dec 1901 9 NS "
>
> " Wilfred m son Mar 1903 8 NS I
> feel this is Wilfred, not William
>
> " Leona __- f dau Feb 1906 5
> cann’t make out the second name
>
> " Samuel m son May 1907 4
>
> " Trueman m son May 1908 3
>
> " Bertha f dau May 1910 1
>
> " Mamie M. f dau May 1910 1 This
> one could even be Maud

Wagstaff to Jim Welsh.

> [...]
>> > served his country in
> World
>> > War II in the Merchant Navy. He worked with Irving until his
>> > retirement
> from
>> > CFM in 1990. During his spare time he loved attending Sunday
>> > evening
> legion
>> > dances, and spending time with his many friends. Resting at
>> > Brenan's
> Select
>> > Community Funeral Home 111 Paradise Row, Saint John, NB (506)
>> > 634-7424
> with
>> > visitation on Thursday 2-4 and 7-9pm. Members of the Royal Canadian
>> > Legion
> are
>> > having a tribute service at the funeral home Thursday at 7pm. The
>> > funeral service will be held on Friday March 19, 2004 from Brenan's
>> > Funeral Home Chapel at 10am. Interment will take place in Cedar
>> > Hill Ext. Donations may
> be
>> > made to Canadian Cancer Society or the New Brunswick Heart and
>> > Stroke Foundation.www.brenansfh.com
>> > [Source: Jack Wagstaff. 03/17/2004] ============================
>> > Note from Jack Wagstaff to James Welsh:
>> > Has to be the s/o Seymore and Maude McCully of Port Greville and
>> > Fox River even though no mention is made of parents and the other
>> > approx. 14
> siblings -
>> > - only Lorne as an uncle. In fact, he was brought up as a s/o
>> > Seymore and Maude but I have heard that he was actually their
>> > grandson having been
> born to
>> > an unmarrried daughter of Seymore and Maude. This may account for
>> > the
> reason
>> > no siblings were in the obit and only his uncle Lorne.
>> > [Source: Jack Wagstaff. 03/17/2004] ============================
>> > McCULLY, Lorne B. - 82, North Head Grand Manan, N.B., died December
>> > 9,
> 2000,
>> > in Colchester Regional Hospital, Truro. Born in Port Greville,
>> > Cumberland
> Co.,
>> > he was a son of the late Seymour and Maude (Ells) McCully. He began
>> > his
> career
>> > going to sea at a young age on sailing vessels plying the Minas
>> > Basin, the
> Bay
>> > of Fundy and the east coast of the United States. Later he was
>> > employed
> for
>> > many years as chief engineer on the Grand Manan Ferries from which
>> > he
> retired.
>> > He and his wife Stella owned and operated Lorne's Store in North
>> > Head for
> many
>> > years. For the past nine years he was a part-time resident of
Parrsboro.