Re: Obit: GRAHAM, Hance E; Porter, Demings & Knowlton _ related

There was some interest in Benjamin Porter J. Porter and son, Frederick
Joseph Porter a while back.

I have Fred and Hattie¹s marriage as breaking up after Hance Logan, Stella
Bernice and Grace Porter are born. Fred m/2 Lucy Alice Wasson while Hattie
m/2 Frederick J. Burke (possibly in Fitchburg, Mass.). By 1911, the 3
children are living with their maternal uncle, Burton Knowlton and
grandmother, Abigail (Crossman) Knowlton.

I just dug out this new data on Grace Bella Porter this afternoon.

Dave
=================
Hance¹s maternal uncle, Hance Logan Porter:

NSARM Cumberland Delayed Births, 1904; Book 1904; Page #70100973
Hance Logan Porter, born 20 Jan 1897, Spencer¹s Island
S/o Fred Porter, Painter and Harriet Maude Knowlton
Father born Spenser¹s Island; Living Advocate Harbour
Applied for on 29 Aug 1928 from Fitchburg, Mass.
Affidavit signed at Halifax by Emeline Welch, Wolfville, Aunt

Source: Dave Winter, 12 Jan 2009
==================
Hance¹s maternal aunt, Grace Bella Porter:

NSARM Cumberland Delayed Births, 1904; Book 1904; Page #69901325
Grace (Porter) Cameron, widow of James Cameron, born 5 Oct 1903, Spencer¹s
Island
D/o Fred Porter, Painter and Harriet Knowlton
Father born Spenser¹s Island; Living Advocate
Applied for on 11 Jun 1928
Affidavit signed at Parrsboro by Nellie Spicer, Cousin

Source: Dave Winter, 12 Jan 2009
-------------------
NSARM Cumberland Marriages, 1922; Book #40; Page #68
John James Demings, Farmer, b, 21, Methodist
Living Conns Mills; Born ??????, Pictou County
S/o Alex Demings, Pugwash River, and Telmay? Henderson
And
Grace Bella Porter, Teacher, s, 19, Baptist
Living Pugwash; Born Spencer¹s Island
D/o Fred Porter, Fraserville, and Hattie Knowlton
Guardian Aunt, Alida Mattenson
Married 13 Sep 1922, Baptist Parsonage, Pugwash

Source: Dave Winter, 12 Jan 2009
Note: By 1928, she¹s the widow of James Cameron
-----------------------
Automatic Genealogy Version;
1911 Cumberland County Census, Port Greville family #190, KNOWLTON:
45 190 Knowlton Burton M Head S Aug 1874 36 1901
46 190 Knowlton Abigail F Mother W Sep 1842 68 1901
47 190 Porter Hance M Nephew S May 1897 14 1901
48 190 Porter Stella F Niece S May 1901 10 1901
49 190 Porter Gracy F Niece S Oct 1903 7 1901
Note: Living with their maternal uncle and grandmother
==================
Hance Logan and Grace Bella¹s parents:

Amherst Daily News, Friday, May 27, 1949, pg. #4; Reel #2697, NSARM,
Halifax, N.S.
OBITUARY: Frederick Joseph Porter
Advocate, May 26 - The death of Frederick Porter occurred at his home here
on Monday morning, May 16. He had been in poor health for more than a year,
but his sudden death came as a shock to his family and friends. Born at
Spencer's Island 77 years ago, he was the son of the late Benjamin Porter
and Mary Jane Carson of Fredericton, N.B. His parents were one of the first
settlers in Spencer's Island. When but a young man he had the misfortune to
lose his right arm in a saw mill, but he overcame this handicap by taking a
course in painting and paper hanging, and people marveled at the beautiful
work he always did do. He had a pleasing personality which won for him a
wide circle of friends. Surviving besides his wife, are one adopted
daughter, May, at home; three children by a former marriage; one son, Hance
Logan Porter of Fetchburg, Mass.; (Estella) Mrs. Ellerton Graham, Port
Greville; (Grace) Mrs. Harold Hook, Melrose, Mass.; and one sister, Mrs.
Emma Smith (who visited him last year) of Newport, R.I.; and a brother,
Robert Porter of Spencer's Island. The funeral which was largely attended
was held from the home of his niece, Mrs. Weston Tibbetts and Mr. Tibbetts
at Advocate on Wednesday afternoon with Rev. Eric Miner of the Baptist
Church officiating, assisted by Rev. George MacLean of the United Church.
The hymns sung were a solo by Leslie Spicer, "Looking This Way", which was
always a favorite of the deceased; "Lead Kindly Light" and "Safe In The Arms
Of Jesus". The floral tributes were many and beautiful.

Source: Dave Winter, 12 Jan 2009
--------------------------------
Parrsboro Record, Tuesday, September 21, 1948, pg. #1; Reel #2866, NSARM,
Halifax, N.S.
OBITUARY: Mrs. Fred J. Burke
Port Greville, September 14 - The death of Harriett Maude, wife of Fred J.
Burke, occurred at the Burbank Hospital, Fitchburg, Mass., Saturday morning,
September 11 from coronary thrombosis after a few days illness. The late
Mrs. Burke was born at Fraserville, Cumberland County, 72 years ago, a
daughter of the late William and Abigail (Crossman) Knowlton. In her early
life, she was well known in this part of the province as well as in New
Brunswick where she conducted a dress-making and ladies tailoring business,
but for over 30 years, she has been a resident of Fitchburg. She was a
member of the Baptist Church and leaves a wide circle of friends. surviving
besides her husband are three children by a former marriage, one son, Hance
Logan Porter, Fitchburg, Mass.; two daughters, Mrs. Ellerton Graham
(Stella), Port Greville; and Mrs. Harold Cooke (Grace) of Belfast, Me.; also
three sisters, Mrs. Oliver Allen, Port Greville; Mrs. William Fraser,
Parrsboro; and Mrs. George Fingler, Pugwash; also seven grandchildren.
Funeral services were held at Fitchburg, Monday with interment in the family
plot.