Full newspaper account of "Zephir"

Melancholy Accident

The packet brigadine "Zephir", from Windsor to Parrsboro, endeavoring to
land her passengers in a boat at Partridge Island at low water, the boat
split, and the passengers, six in number, were thrown in the water. The
names are Rev. Mr. George, (Baptist Minster), his wife and sister, Capt. H.
Newcomb, Mr. Mosher, Mr. Cutten. Mr. and Mrs. George and Capt. Newcomb were
drowned. (Source: The Halifax Sun and Advertiser, Fri. June 8, 1866,
page 2)

Distressing Accident. -- Four Persons Drowned at Partridge Island,

The Amherst Gazette gives the following particulars of the recent disaster
at Partridge Island, of which a brief notice appeared in our paper of
Saturday:-- On Monday evening, the 4th inst., the packet Zephyr, from
Horton, having arrived off the public wharf, about dusk, and the tide having
been too far spent at admit of going up the river to the Village, anchored
about seven or eight hundred yards off the

pier. The boat was lowered for the purpose of landing the passengers, when
the Rev. Mr. George, Baptist Minister of Little River in this County, his
wife Lydia Ann, eldest daughter of W. H. Seaman, Esq., of Pugwash, his
sister Miss George, of Cornwallis, a Mr. Mosher, of St. Martains, N.B., the
Captain -- Mr. Newcomb -- and a young Mr. Cutten, both of Parsboro, got into
it. Although it was found to be very leaky, they set out for the shore, Mr.
George bailing, and, for a while thinking he could keep her free. They had
not gone fifty yards when the boat filled and sank. The two ladies sprang
and caught Mr. George around the neck, who, being a very expert swimmer, and
a man of strong muscular power, succeeded in keeping them up for some time;
but as the water was somewhat rough, and the waves passing over their heads,
they soon became helpless, and one after another sank to rise no more. When
he found his loved ones were gone, and there was no more he could do to save
them, while his own strength was nearly exhausted by the struggle, he
succeeded in getting upon the sunken boat. Mr. Mosher was also holding on by
the bows. Messrs. Newcomb and Cutten, being good swimmers, left the boat and
undertook to swim to the shore, but never reached it.

Messrs. George and Mosher were about an hour upon the boat when the wind and
current carried them near the rocks at that extreme point of Partridge
Island, visible from the wharf, and as the strong current was fast carrying
them by the point towards Blomedon, providentially the waves threw the boat
against the reefs, when it turned over and Mr. George making a desperate
effort, succeeded in reaching the rocks, but with the greatest difficulty,
as the waves carried him back with them two or three times during the
attempt. Having got out of the reach of the waves, he lay upon the rocks for
some time, helpless and concluded his companion was gone, but, after a
little, he recovered sufficient strength to call, when he found Mr. Mosher
was also safe. After some little time they were found by some of the
inhabitants and taken to the house of E. DeW. Ratchford, Esq.

The bodies were not recovered up to Wednesday evening, but hopes are
entertained that they will be, as there is not very much current where they
went down. Diligent search will be made for some days. This is certainly a
sad affair for all concerned. Mr. and Mrs. George had only been a few months
married, and were returning from a visit to his friends, his sister, 15
years of age, accompanying them. Mr. Newcomb, we believe, has left a wife,
and one child to mourn their sad loss. (Source: Halifax Citizen, Tuesday,
June 12, 1866)

Pam Gaudio, Dec 31, 2008

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]