Re: Henwood & Desmond

Pam

Just finally reading old messages, and I find I have the following that may interest you

Lawrence Nicoll

>From a report to Ancestral File by Roy & Gladys Billings

Note:

Halifax MORNING HERALD, of Nov. 12, 1888

DIED FROM EXPOSURE: A Very Sad Accident Off the Parrsboro Shore.

A shocking event took place off Parrsboro on Tuesday night, which resulted in the death of a promising young lad, Frank H. Fletcher, son of Capt. D., of Masstown, near Truro.

Capt. Fletcher and his son were coming across the bay on Tuesday evening in a boat laden with forty barrels of apples, and when off Partridge Island, owing to the rough water, the boat swamped and filled. It was then more than half ebb and just growing dark. They drifted down with the swift tide past West Bay and their cries attracted the attention of those on board the barque "CARL LINCK."

A boat was sent from the barque in pursuit of the voices, although nothing could be seen. Jacob Williger, of Black Rock, was down on the beach at the time and heard the cries. He had no boat, but ran at once to West Bay, where Richard Desmond, Robert Anderson, Frank Hewet, and himself launched Desmond's boat and started down the bay. Those in the barque's boat, seeing this new rescue party turned back. Fletcher and his son drifted outside of Black Rock and unfortunately ceased to call for help after they had passed below it, thinking that no one would hear them. In consequence of this Desmond, Williger, Hewett and Anderson were unable to find Fletcher's boat, in the darkness, and, after rowing down as far as Diligent River, shouting and swing a lantern to attract the notice of anyone who might be on the water, abandoned the pursuit and returned.

The swamped boat drifted down the bay with the ebb, and up again with the flood, and down with the ebb, and on Wednesday morning was sighted off Brookville by the barque "FREIA," Capt. Hauff, which had left West Bay that morning. The boy had died, in the mean time, and Capt. Fletcher was too far gone to make a signal, so that it was only by accident that those on the barque saw their condition. The barque's boat took father and son to the shore at Brookville where the son's body was left on the beach and the father taken to the nearest house, where he soon revived. The same evening Capt. Fletcher brought his son's body to this town and yesterday he accompanied it sadly to his home, taking his departure by the morning train. The deceased was fourteen years of age and was a promising youth. Captain Fletcher has the sympathy of every one in his sore affliction - [Leader]

CENSUS: This family was listed as the DIAMOND family in the 1891 Cumberland County census.