From: david winter
To: nscumber
Cc: James E. Welsh
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:05 AM
Subject: [nscumber] Leander Canning

I have his wife as Armina "Minnie" Caroline Brown. Mrs. Manning would be
Mary Ellen Canning while Mrs. Byers would be Nema E. Canning. The other 3
daughters, I don't know as my canning database isn't all that large.

A daughter, Inez B. Canning (m/1 Edwin M. Mills) died in 1925 of
Tuberculosis.

Dave
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Parrsboro Record, Tuesday, January 24, 1939, pg. @4; Reel #2863, NSARM,
Halifax, N.S.
OBITUARY: Leander Canning
Ther sudden death of Leander Canning, aged 77, well-known lumber contractor
occurred at his home on Riverside on Sunday morning, January 15th, following
a heart attack. A son of the late Archibald and Nancy Canning, Avonport,
Kings County, the deceased is survived by his wife; five daughters, Mrs.
Loran Taylor, Cambridge, Mass.; Mrs. Edward Smith, Lynn, Mass.; Mrs. Alfred
Drysdale, Halifax; Mrs. Walter Manning, Parrsboro; Mrs. Walter Byers,
Westville; and five sons, Archie, Westville; Hiram, Halifax; Wilbert, Roy
and Clayton, Parrsboro; also one sister, Mrs. Elias Nieforth, Avonport,
Kings County. The funeral which was held on Wednesday afternoon, January
18th from the home was largely attended. The service was conducted by Rev.
J.N. Currie, pastor of the Baptist Church. The hymns sung were: "Does Jesus
Care" and "Shall We Meet At The River". The pallbearers were: Wm. Durant,
Johnson Spicer and Leander Smith. Interment was made in the Baptist Cemetery
here. There were a number of lovely floral tributes as well as telegrams,
letters, cards and other expressions of sympathy.

Source: Dave Winter 18 September 2007
NSARM Deaths: 1925; Book #107; Page #1344
Inez Mills, Flat Brook, Married
Born 25 Jan 1909, age 16 years, 11 months, 11 days
Died 28 Dec 1925 of Consumption
D/o Leander Canning and Minnie Brown
Buried 30 Dec 1925 Shulee

Source: Dave Winter