Re: Atkinson's of Springhill

Ruby & Larry:

Thanks for the data but I feel the Frances D. Atkinson, born 7 Jun 1894,
from Springhill (d/o Stephen and Jennie) is a different person. See my
posting to nscumber of about a week ago.

Automated Genealogy Version:
1901 Cumberland County Census, Springhill family #89, ATKINSON:
33 89 Atkinson Stephen M Head M Mar 20 1841 60
34 89 Atkinson Janet F   Wife M Aug 29 1862 38
35 89 Atkinson William K. M Son S Jun 29 1889 11
36 89 Atkinson Martha A. F Daughter S Aug 25 1891 9
37 89 Atkinson Maggie E. F Daughter S Aug 25 1891 9
38 89 Atkinson Lily F.D. F Daughter S Jun 7 1894 6
(Lily Frances D. Atkinson?)
39 89 Atkinson Maria Ann C. F Daughter S Nov 17 1897 3

However, as an addition for you, I have a small bit of new 1911 Census data
to add to yours.

1911 Cumberland County Census, Shulee family #13, ATKINSON:
Atkinson, Benjamin, m, head, m, born Nov 1848, age 63, occupation; Mail
Manager in Lumber Co.
Atkinson, Sarah, f, wife, m, born Jan, 1858, age 53
Atkinson, Clarence, m, son, s, born Mar 1888, age 22, occupation; Labourer

(Clarence is the only one still living at home; Frances is no where to be
found)

I have Frances as Frances E. not B. because of the 1901 Automated Genealogy
Version. Do you think there's a transcription error or have you looked at
the "hard copy" of the 1901 Census to know if it's a B. or E. for sure ?

Automated Genealogy Version:
1901 Cumberland County Census, Polling Station #33 family #210; ATKINSON:
28 210 Atkinson Benjamin M   Head M Oct 25 1846 54
29 210 Atkinson Sarah F   Wife M Jan 7 1857 44
30 210 Atkinson Mina M. F   Dau. S Oct 30 1882 18
31 210 Atkinson Joseph H. M  Son S Jun 12 1884 16
32 210 Atkinson Clarence W. M Son S Apr 22 1888 12
33 210 Atkinson Alice G. F   Dau. S Nov 10 1890 10
34 210 Atkinson Francis E. F Dau. S Nov 5 1892 8

In addition, I recently acquired Benjamin Atkinson's obit. which is below in
case you don't have it already.

I think next summer when I'm visiting in the area, I'll have to check out
the Apple River Cemetery for possible ATKINSON headstones. Frances's sister,
Grace Alice Atkinson (Mrs. Emerson Herbert Davis) is deceased as well by
1911 as Emerson is a widow and living with his parents in 1911. They were
m/1 6 Dec 1905 so it would have to have been sometime between 1906 & 1911.

Automated Genealogy Version:
1911 Cumberland County Census, Apple River family #73, DAVIS:
44   73 Davis William G   M Head M Nov 1865 47 1901
45   73 Davis Elizabeth M   F Wife M Nov 1866 46 1901
46   73 Davis Emerson   M Son W Jul 1884 27 1901
47   73 Davis Ransford   M Son S Oct 1889 22 1901
48   73 Davis Nellie M   F Daughter S Jul 1896 14 1901
49   73 Davis William A.   M Son S Aug 1899 11 1901

Dave
++++++++++++++++++

(Name of Newspaper not given but assume it's 1935)
Benjamin Atkinson
Apple River, June 10 - A life long resident of this place, Benjamin
Atkinson, passed away at his home on Saturday last, aged 87 years. He was a
faithful member of the Baptist Church and a member of the Loyal Orange
Society. He was twice married and is survived by two children of the first
family, Albert, of Apple River and Mrs. Douglas Clark of Halifax; and four
in the second family, William and Lester in Apple River; Joseph with the
C.N.R. in Belmont and Mrs. William Nuttall, New Salem, Cumberland County;
also, three brothers, Charles and Morton, Apple River; and James of Saint
John. Two brothers predeceased him a few months ago: Rev. Frank of Medford,
Mass.; and W.A. of Advocate Harbour. The funeral was held Sunday by the Rev.
D.A. Porter of the United Baptist Church and Rev. Mr. Chase, student pastor.
Interment was in Apple River Cemetery.

Notes from Dave Winter:
Daughter, Leota Atkinson (Mrs. George Hile Clark) and son, Clarence W.
Atkinson appear to be missing from the list of "second family" survivors.

Will assume wife, Sarah A. Winter, has predeceased Benjamin sometime before
1935 as I have no death date for her and she's not mentioned as a survivor.