Repost: Obit - Mary Eliza FIllmore

OBITUARY [January ??, 1935]

Mrs. George Brundage

After a period of failing health, during the last days of which she
was unconscious, Mrs. George Brundage passed away at the home of her
daughter, Mrs. R.B. Davidson, Tidnish Bridge, on Friday evening.
Mrs. Brundage was ninety years of age last summer and was one of the
oldest residents of the Tidnish community. Her husband predeceased
her about five years ago, at the age of 88. The two of them were
among the best-known people along the Tidnish shore and their home
was one of the most hospitable to be found anywhere. They
delighted in having their friends call and their friends made good
use of the privilege. Mrs. Brundage was deeply interested in
anything pertaining to the welfare of the church or of the home
community, but her particular interest was in the home where she was
the centre of a family of two boys and seven girls. She, herself
before her marriage was a Miss Eliza Fillmore, daughter of the late
Mr. and Mrs. R. B. Fillmore, well-known citizens of Oxford. The
members of her family are Mrs. Elizabeth Evans and Mrs. J.A. Raddin
of Cliftondale Mass., Mrs. W.O. Metcalf of Malden, Mass., Mrs. R.B.
Davidson, Tidnish, Mrs. H.M. Goodwin, Lorneville, Mrs. Garnet
Chapman, Tidnish, Mrs. Capt. J.G. Walter of Amherst, William
Brundage of Tidnish, and Harvey Brundage of Bridgeport, Conn. Those
who knew the late Mrs. Brundage will understand how great their loss
is and will sincerely sympathize with the members of the family.
Mrs. Arthur Avard of Amherst is a niece.

[last part of obituary is illegible]

=============================

Mrs. George Brundage

Despite the cold weather there was a very large attendance at the
funeral service of the late Mrs. George Brundage of Tidnish, which
was held from the home of her daughter, Mrs. R.B. Davidson, Tidnish
Bridge, on Monday afternoon. Friends from all over the district
were in attendance and kind words were heard on every hand in regard
to the life of the deceased. Rev. G.W. Tilley, United Church Pastor
of Port Elgin, had charge of the service, and was assisted by the
choir of the Tidnish Bridge Church, which sang the favourite hymns
of the deceased, "Lead Kindly Light," "The Beautiful Home Beyond,"
and "The Old Rugged Cross." As the remains ere being taken from the
home the "Christian Good Night" was sung. Internment was made in
the Riverside Cemetery. The pallbearers were two sons-in-law of the
deceased, R.B. Davidson and G.P. Chapman, and Four grandsons, Victor
Goodwin, Norman Davidson, Allison Raddin, and George Brundage.
There were many beautiful floral tokens and there were also
remembrances from relatives and friends in Boston and the New
England States.

-----------------

A Great Tidnish Loss

The death of Mrs. George Brundage of Tidnish is of more than
ordinary interest. Last summer there were two women of that place
that were celebrating their 90th birthdays, and Mrs. Brundage was
one of them. The other was Mrs. Emmeline Chapman, whose strength of
body and vigour of mind and keenness of memory have been the wonder
and admiration of all who knew her. Mrs. Brundage was the frailer
of the two, and at the time of her anniversary it was quickly
realized by her friends that her days were quickly passing. Now she
has passed on.

It was a remarkable home - the Brundage home at Tidnish. The late
George Brundage was one of the best known men in his section of the
county and was as well known in the town of Amherst as he was n
Tidnish. He was a well preserved man, both physically and mentally,
and was driving a car till well past his 80th year. He had every
instinct of true hospitality, in which his wife whole-heartedly
shared, and their home was a stopping place for friends far and
near. It was an old-fashioned home in the best sense of the word
and one where the parents were not afraid of children. Nine boys
and girls were born to this union and they al are living today..
And all have the same fine hospitable instinct of their parents.
Their home gatherings even in later years were events of importance
and the affection of all of them went out in glowing warmth to their
mother. In a very true sense of the old Brundage home, so well
preserved, can never seem the same again.

Mrs. Brundage was a well read woman and interested in all that was
going on, but her chief interest centred in the home. It was there
that she liked to have her family come and where friends found her
with cordial welcome and the quiet component ways of a great
homemaker. So long as the present generation lasts there will be
the kindest recollection of this woman and he home and her late
husband, who predeceased her by a few years. Fall of years and
honor, and surrounded by her friends as she passed on, leaving the
fragrance of a sweet memory behind and the remembrance of a home
that was one in the real sense of the word.

There will be the deepest sympathy with the members of the family in
their great bereavement and at the same time rejoicing with them
that there was such a Mother in Israel. It is women such as these
that make a community or a nation great.

--- In >
> Hi Shirley,
>
> Lucy Chapman was my great grandmother. Her mother was Mary Eliza
> Fillmore (b. 15 Aug. 1844, d. Jan. 1945). She married George
> Allison Brundage on 30 Jul 1866. Her parents were Robert Barry
> Fillmore (b. 1811, d. 5 Dec. 1899) and Nancy Donkin Brundage (b. 6
> Aug. 1821, d. 2 Mar. 1903). George and Nancy were married on 18
> Dec. 1837.
>
> -Steve CHapman
>

> --- In
> daughter
> > of William Rufus Fillmore and Elizabeth Marietta Estabrooks?
Marie